FAQs – Club Structure
What is an England Football Accredited Club ?
What is the structure of the Club ?
There are two management structures at the Club.
- The Hub. Steyning Community Hub Limited (SCHL)
To raise the finance for the 3G Pitch HSBC required a Limited Company. This was set up by four local parents involved with the club who were prepared to invest their own money to ensure our Club were able to install the pitch. The Hub act as the landlord of the Football Club dealing with the pitch, capital improvements etc. The Hub is a not for profit organisation – all income is used to improve the facilities and run STCFC. The directors receive no remuneration. The Hub acts as the Landlord.
- The Football Club. Steyning Town Community FC (STCFC)
The Football Club is run by the Football Club Committee, all volunteers, that includes members of The Hub. The football club comprises:
- Senior Section – including First Team, Reserves and Veterans.
- Women Section – First Team.
- Youth Section – U18’s.
- Youth and Junior Section – mini-kickers to U16’s
- Girls Section.
The Committee meets monthly and sets the policies for the Football Club. The Football Club acts as the Tenant.
Note that the land is owned by the Church of England.
Tell me more about the 3G Pitch ?
The 3G Pitch was paid for by:
- Grant from The Wilson Memorial Trust
- Loan from HSBC
- Investment from The Hub (four local parents)
The pitch has a twice-weekly, quarterly, and maintenance program and is tested annually to retain both FA and FIFA accreditation. Each year the club puts aside £25K for replacement every 10 years. To assist the pitch is hired out to third-parties, for example Albion in the Community and The Chelsea Foundation.
FAQs – Our Young Players
How is the Youth Section set up ?
We have a Mixed and a Girls section. Girls can and do play in the Mixed teams. At all ages your manager will ensure that each boy or girl is able to cope with the requirements of that age-group.
The main point of contact for a player is their manager, who will have one or more coaches. Managers have regular meetings to share expertise and discuss issues under their head of sections who sit on the Steyning Football Club Committee. This is currently Adrian Ridley (Cov) and Iain Staines, and for the girls Karen Bridgewater.
What coaching can a player expect ?
Our coaching aims are:
- Each year group is to have at least one FA level one coach, who takes on overall responsibility for that year group.
- All managers and coaches will be subject to the relevant DBS checks.
- Managers and coaches are required to join the FA Licensed Coaches Club online.
- Each game to be attended by a qualified emergency aid person who has attended an organised FA first aid course.
- Promote and retain interest in the playing of Association Football.
- Develop standards and encourage progression to affiliated Senior teams.
Where will I train and play ?
Each year-group trains on the main floodlit pitch at Shooting Field. Matches can be on other pitches depending on the age-group. As we offer a football opportunity to more players there is a pressure on pitch use. Match pitches are:
- Shooting Field 3G Floodlit pitch
- School Playing Fields (St Andrew and Steyning Grammar)
- Memorial Playing Field, Steyning
- Memorial Playing Field, Upper Beeding
What Leagues will I play in ?
Do I have to live in Steyning or surrounding villages ?
Our catchment area is that of Steyning Grammar. Players outside of this area need to be approved by our committee.
Are there match fees ?
We have an annual fee – that can be paid monthly. See FAQs – Fees below.
Are the best players always selected ?
We call this streaming. The club policy is:
- Mini soccer – inclusive without exception
- 7 v 7 – inclusive without exception
- 9 v 9 – this unusual, and only between two squads in an age-group. This is at the manager’s discretion after good communication with parents and players to ensure contented squads.
- 11 v 11 – this is more common, but is at the manager’s discretion after good communication with parents and players to ensure a contented squad.
What kit does a player receive ?
Every registered player is provided with a full playing strip by the club. This includes a shirt, shorts, and socks. Strips remain the property of the club and can be redistributed, typically at the end of the season. If part of the kit is lost we will have a look to see what is available – but lost kit may need to be replaced.
Can I sponsor a team ?
Yes please. Just speak to your age-group manager who will be delighted to speak to you. You will get:
- 2 year advertising board at the club
- Banner advert in the first team on-line match day program
- Reduced rates for full page advert in STCFC tournament program
- Promotion through out the season on the Clubs social Media sites
- Sponsors logo on the clubs official website
What are the Club colours ?
The club has a proud tradition and is keen to protect and develop its identity. The club’s strip is the most powerful form of identity that helps bond the players of all age groups into a single club community. It is therefore a foundation stone of the club’s history and its aspirations, and as such there are strict guidelines concerning kit colours and livery.
- Home – Red and White shirt, with solid red shorts, solid red socks.
- Away (where applicable) – Blue and Black shirt, with solid blue shorts, solid blue socks
FAQs – Youth Fees
Are Fees increasing for the new 2023/24 season ?
There are some increases in fees. You can see the 2023-24 season fees below – with a comparison (in italics) to last season. As with any household or business the costs of running the club are increasing. This includes utilities, equipment such as goals and footballs, and player kit – as well in increases in general running costs. Note that we have also had a reduction in sponsorship as some businesses have not renewed. And as a reminder – we are all unpaid volunteers at the club.
How do the fees get spent ?
This table illustrates how the fees are split – we appreciate costs may vary at different age-groups:
|Pitch Hire Fees & Pitch Marking||67%|
|Affiliation Fees & Administration||3%|
|Referees & Assistants||9%|
|Trophies / Medals||4%|
|Kit & Equipment (non-sponsored)||4%|
|Printing / Stationery /Advertising||3%|
|Coaching / Courses||1%|
|Phone / WiFi / TV Licence||1%|
Note that the 3G Pitch Hire Fees are at a subsidised rate compared to third-party hirers.
Are the managers and coaching paid ?
No. From the management committee through managers and coaches to parents assisting putting out cones – our junior section is run by volunteers who give up significant spare time to ensure our children have an opportunity to enjoy their football in an environment where we prioritise qualified coaching and safeguarding as well as the values of The FA’s Respect campaign.
Does the youth section subsidise senior football ?
No. This is sometimes asked. Senior football is kept separate financially. There are non-financial advantages for our youth section having some access to first team management for assistance with coaching. However, from mini-kickers to senior men’s and women’s teams, we are all one club.
How much are the fees for my young player ?
These are the Fees for the 2023-24 season.
As you can imagine a lot of thought goes into Annual Subs. All age groups train on our main 3G pitch at Shooting Field. Older age groups play matches on the 3G. Note that we are trying to actively grow the younger age groups and girls participation by offering reduced fees for a limited number of seasons. We also offer scheduled fees taken over 10 months.
|MiniKickers to U7s||160.00||16.00||140.00|
|U8s, U9s & U10s||240.00||24.00||222.00|
|U11s & U12s||260.00||26.00||230.00|
|U13s, U14s, U15s, U16s & U18s||290.00||29.00||260.00|
|MiniKickers to U9s||160.00||16.00||140.00|
|U10s & U12s||200.00||20.00||170.00|
|U13s, U15s & U16s||220.00||22.00||180.00|
How does this compare with other sports and activities ?
You are likely to be closer to what other sports charge – but some interesting calculations:
- Most teams play around 60 times per year (circa 100 hrs)
- Training only teams play around 35 times per year (circa 50 hours)
- Each session costs around £4 per session (whether match or training)
- In terms of the cost per hour it is less than £2.50 for all teams
And this is at an England Accredited Club – Three Star – where we have demonstrated we have a positive football environment where young people can develop their skills, keep fit and enjoy playing as part of a friendly, inclusive community.
Is there financial assistance available with the fees ?
Why are girls fees less than boys fees ?
We believe a thriving girl section is part of being a community club. To grow the girls section we have taken the decision to encourage participation by offering reduced fees. There is also an argument that the reduced fees reflects there being fewer games in the girls leagues. This will change as girls football becomes more established. Note that where a girl plays in a mixed team they will pay the same fees as the other players. At present we think the fees should be the same in two more seasons and we will be aiming for that. As with all fees – girls fees are reviewed annually.
FAQs – Volunteers
What sort of volunteers are you looking for ?
What can you offer ? We need help in all sorts of areas – from coaching teams, assisting in maintenance of the facility, assisting with social media, to coming up with ideas to build the girls section. We need volunteers for events – such as the summer youth football festivals, on match-days, and with simply running the club. If you have a skill, or you simply have time, we would love to hear from you. Go to the Join Us menu.
If you want to help a particular group have a conversation with the manager or coaching team.
Can I help financially ?
Of course. We are always looking for companies and individuals who want to assist the club. We would not be able to run the club as it is without sponsorship. Use the Join Us option or just speak to someone at the club and you will be welcomed and put in the right direction.
Can I become a ref ?
We can help with course fees. We need referees for all our age-groups. You can receive match fees as a referee. We encourage interested youth players to take the course as a way to learn about the game, learn life-skills, and earn some extra cash.
Can I get involved with girls and women’s football ?
We always need coaches – but we also need assistance with promotion and administration as we build this side of the Club.
FAQs – Senior Teams
What senior teams do you have?
- Men’s First Team – Southern Combination Football League – Premier Division.
- Women’s First Team – London & South East Regional Football League – Division One South
- Men’s U23s – Southern Combination Football League – U23 Division.
- Veteran – Mid-Sussex Football League
We also run two U18 teams in the SCFL.
When do they play ?
- Men’s First Team – play: Saturdays and often Tuesday evenings. Train: Tuesdays and Thursdays,
- Men’s U23s – play: Thursday evenings. Train Tuesdays,
- Women’s First Team – play: Sunday afternoons. Train: Wednesday evenings.
- Veteran – play: Sunday afternoons.
Do I pay to watch ?
Men First team admission (to be confirmed) is:
- Adult £6
- Concession £3
- U16’s Free
Women First team admission (to be confirmed) is:
- Adult £3
- U16’s Free
U23 Admission is:
- All £3
- U16’s Free
FAQs – Club Hire
Can I hire the pitch ?
Yes. As you can imagine with the number of teams at the club – all of whom train on the pitch – there are a of time slots already taken. Also the pitch is used by both Albion in the Community and The Chelsea Foundation. However, there are regular slots available, particularly during the week.
There are more opportunities in the summer to hire the pitch for in-house football tournaments and festivals. Of course there are some restrictions on footwear on the pitch.
Can I hire the Clubhouse ?
Definitely. During the day the Clubhouse is available alongside current users, including Gym Classes and Slimming Groups. You can also hire the club, including Bar for your own functions. The club is used or Comedy nights, Live Lounge, and you can also hire it for your own private party.