Loxwood Match Report

Loxwood FC 0 Steyning Town 4

The Barrowmen made it 3 wins out of 3 in the league after a routine victory over Loxwood on Tuesday evening which included some very well taken goals.
With a few changes to the squad from Saturday we saw Cooper returning to the starting line up after being absent at the weekend. Goldson took his place up centrally up front in the absence of the injured Langford and Leahy stepped back in to a central midfield role
Oladokun dropped to the bench, as did Hallett, joined by the returning Axell and Radley-Martin, and recent signing, youngster Billy Fuller made his first appearance in the Town squad.
Town were fast out the blocks, and in fact playing some sensational football during the first 20 minutes. Pressing their hosts hard and playing some excellent possession based football.  They got the early breakthrough they deserved when Goldson struck with an early contender for goal of the season as the ball feel to him just inside the box, he swivelled and volleyed home a bullet like shot all in a flash, leaving the Loxwood keeper with no chance.
Town continued to press for the second goal which their early performance warranted, however Loxwood held firm and slowly started to get in to the game as their direct approach started to get some success. Lucas was called in to action for the first time and made a wonderful fingertip save from a dipping shot to prevent an equaliser and a few Loxwood attacks ended with crosses flashing across the face of the Town goal. At the other end Cooper had a header scrambled off the line and Francis fired just wider after another great move cut the Loxwood defence to shreds. Remfry was putting in some great crosses from the right but Town couldn’t capitalise. However the livewire Francis was not to be denied and on the stroke of half time he scored a vital second, finishing with a lovely low drive from the edge of the box after being played in by Meehan, who was enjoying another influential game.
HT 2-0 and the score was a fair reflection of how the game had gone.
The second half was a similar affair to the first, with Edwards, Barnes, Leahy and Francis not giving the hosts any time to play and forcing the mistakes. Early in the second half Goldson struck with his second of the night, and Steyning’s third, with a low drive from outside the box that nestled in the bottom left hand corner. Another fine strike making the 3 points all but safe. The upturn in confidence in Goldsons play was visible and soon after he created himself a great opportunity to complete his hattrick but fired wide when destined to score as he waltzed through the Loxwood defence.
Soon after Radley-Martin, Hallett and Axell all made their way in to the play and the pattern continued with Steyning chances coming and going. Youngster Billy Fuller come on for his debut replacing Clarky and looked assured slotting in to the defence and getting forward well. Oladokum similarly came on to strengthen our rearguard and protect the clean sheet, which didn’t really look in much danger in the second period.
The  coup de grace came in the final minutes as Radley -Martin was picked out by Hallett on the edge of the box and he turned fired low in to the bottom left hand corner. 4-0 and a fitting end to a fine team display.
Final score: Loxwood FC 0 Steyning Town 4
Town: Lucas, Clark, Cooper, Leahy, Da Costa, Edwards, Barnes, Francis, Goldson, Remfry, Meehan Subs used Hallett, Radley-Martin, Axell, Oladokun, Fuller
Next up Peacehaven & Telescombe Fc at home in the FA cup on Saturday at 3pm
Share This