Newhaven Match Report

Sit back and relax reading this …….. another excellent report by Woody!

Newhaven 0 Steyning Town 4
Steyning moved ever closer to a Southern Combination Premier League title with a comprehensive 4-0 away victory against second placed Newhaven FC on Saturday. In an eagerly anticipated game that attracted a crowd of over 500 at Fort Road, the hosts were in the strange position of knowing that even a victory for them would not go any real distance towards securing the title, and seemed to approach the game that the play offs were the best they could hope for. This was best evidenced by league top scorer Alfie Rogers being named on the bench so as to not risk another booking and potentially missing the play offs. Steyning themselves continued on without in form striker Tom Chalaye, so two of the top strikers in the division were missing from this showdown. It has to be said that this seemed to affect Newhaven much more as Steyning continued to show that the whole team can chip in with goals on a regular basis as a result of their dynamic rotational set-up.
As for the game itself it could not have gone any better for Steyning. After a fairly even first twenty minutes, where Robinson squandered a decent opening for the hosts and Shooman was denied by a fine save by Buss, it pretty much became all about the Barrowmen. The man to break the deadlock, and the scorer of an increasing number of important goals, was Harry Shooman. A through ball was somewhat fortuitously deflected in to his path, and as he raced through the inside left channel he made no mistake with a cool finish. From that point on Town were firmly on top as the energy and confidence seemed to visibly drain from Newhaven and they couldn’t live with Town’s forceful pressing game. Meehan was coming in to the game more on the right flank , and Goldson down the middle was working hard, closing down and holding the ball up well. Edwards and Barnes had a firm grip in midfield and Cooper and Da Costa were in imperious form at the back, snuffing out any Newhaven advances. Weller and Fuller at full back were winning their personal battles and getting up the pitch well to support the attacking wide players. Therefore it was no surprise that the second goal was not long coming. Barnes, industrious as ever, won the ball in the middle of the park, released Meehan down the right, he skipped passed Rogers with ease and bought a low save out of Buss, but the ball fell to Goldson to thump home from close in. A big goal.
On the stroke of half time things got even better as another Steyning flowing move ended up with a bit of a melee in the box and again the ball fell to Shooman to prod home. Game over.
The second half , in all honesty became a bit of a non event. Steyning were very happy sitting in and keeping possession, which they did for long periods of the half. Newhaven weren’t overly ambitious either and damage limitation seemed to be the name of the game. Both sides were pretty much restricted to half chances from distance, which came to nothing. However the one and only talking point was a fourth goal on 80 minutes for Steyning which put the icing on the cake. Billy Fuller won the ball on the left, cut inside and squared to Charlie Weller who hit a first time 30 yard pile driver in to the top left hand corner leaving Buss with no chance. A wonderful strike to round off a wonderful afternoon for the Barrowmen.
By the time the final whistle came the large home crowd had been long silenced and Town were left to celebrate a hugely important win in their quest for a first SCFL Premier League for nearly forty years. The situation is now as follows; Steyning need to win their last league of the season at home to AFC Uckfield to become champions. If they fail to win that game then Crowborough could overhaul them if they win their final 3 league games. If Crowborough fail to win any of their last 3 games then Steyning will be champions irrespective of the result against Uckfield.
So all eyes will now be on Crowborough’s next two games on Tuesday away to Crawley Down Gatwick and then on Saturday away to Midhurst. Then Steyning big game against Uckfield will be on Saturday 27th . It could be all over by then or Town may yet still need to win to secure the title. All very exciting and nothing being taken for granted at the Shooting Field.
A word for Newhaven. Great hosts as always and really well supported. Their title quest may have just fallen short , and it is clear they have suffered some key injuries in recent weeks. However they have had a fantastic season and the now have great chance to achieve promotion via the playoffs. We wish them luck with that.
Also the game was very well reffed  and although physical at times all the big decisions were called correctly and the game was allowed to flow.
Town : Szendela- Goetzke Fuller Da Costa Cooper Weller Barnes  Edwards Radley-Martin Shooman Meehan Goldson Subs used:  Clark Leahy Remfry Quincey Not used : Francis
Att 504
Share This