Saltdean Away Match Report …..

Saltdean FC 0  – Steyning Town Community FC 6
8 wins in a row. 31 goals scored. 7 conceded. Thats the stats for the past 8 games that is providing the feel good factor at the current moment after Saturdays emphatic dismantling of Saltdean FC at Hill Park.
That said the feet of everyone are firmly on the ground and there is still a long way to go to improve the level of performances. Competition for places is high and there is a good buzz in and around the team that comes from winning.
Saturdays game was ultimately a very comfortable win however Steyning were very sloppy in the first ten minutes and were indebted to Lucas in the Town goal to not find themselves one, two or maybe even three goals adrift. However once we managed to ride out the early scares it was pretty much one way traffic thereafter.
Wideman Bradley and Johnson-Fisher were causing having to the full backs all afternoon and Town were finding pockets of space all over the place in the final third. The scoring got under way as centre back Da Costa bundled home on 19 minutes as a Langford free kick was spilled by James in the Saltdean goal. Soon after Bradley made it two finishing high in to the net after a mazy Johnson-Fisher run. That was all the goal action for the first half and James the Saltdean keeper did well to keep it to two goals. Saltdean were starting to lose their discipline and the first of two sin bins came shortly before half time.
The second half was just a few minutes old when Da Costa volleyed home a second from close range after a good free kick delivery from Barnes. Players were flooding forward from Steyning now and it was total one way traffic as Steynings back four half totally shut up shop. Langford bundled home a fourth after rounding the keeper and as a result the Saltdean skipper Paul was sinned binned for abuse towards the officials.
On 60 minutes Johnson-Fisher got in on the act with a fine solo goal, turning three defenders inside out and firing home low. He was withdrawn from the action soon after as he was on the end of some poor tackles as the defence could not cope with his speed and skill.
The final goal of the afternoon came on 65 minutes as Landford finished off a flowing move with a low strike from 18 yards so make it ten goals in 6 games.
The only other real action of the game was a red card for a second yellow late on for Saltdeans sub Blair, and Da Costa missing a point blank header and a great chance for a centre backs hat trick.
All in all a good afternoon for the Barrowmen and the good run continues.
Town: Clark, Rondel, Da Costa, Robinson, Howell, Barnes, Downer, Langford, Jonhson-Fisher, Bradley Sub used: Goddard, Meehan, Sirjani, Radmore, Hallett
MOM: Jack Barnes
Next up Pagham FC in the Sussex Senior Cup on Tuesday 11th Oct 7:45pm at home
Share This